First haircut

by Jessie K on April 18, 2012

See June with her hand’s in front of her face?  This is her patented “shield’s up” pose — one thumb in mouth, the other fingers fondling the fabric of her shirt.  She assumes this position whenever she needs some loving or is tired or uncertain or needs to go to her special place where unicorns prance and fairies frolic.

First haircuts are nerve wracking — a stranger standing over you wielding a sharp, dagger-like instrument while only occasionally looking up from the Ellen Degeneres show on TV.

June likes Ellen Degeneres.

My mom always cut my hair when I was a little kid.  My mom is not a professional stylist.    She’s an on-the-go, get-it-done, got-shrubs-to-plant kind of lady, so I ended up sporting a lot of bowl cuts as a kid.

Now if you ask my mom about this style transgression, she’ll tell you “that was the style. You kids liked bowl cuts.”   My lowly grade school social status told the real story.  I used to eat friends’ leftover hot lunch creamed corn for a quarter! I thought it would make them like me.  But they were just laughing at the porcelain bowl of hair encircling my pate.

I didn’t want to inflict the same enduring trauma on my daughter, so I sprang for the $10 to $12  to have her hair cut professionally.

She’ll thank me for it.

When she’s about 37.

Sarina April 18, 2012 at 12:03 pm

My dad was in the army.. My mom was not a “girly” type of lady that bought into that scam they call beauty salon services. I got my hair cut at the base barber shop.. sometimes she mentioned I was a girl.. so they wouldn’t cut it in a buzz! Usually I ended up with some facsimile of that bowl cut you sported though! I feel your pain!

Sarah April 18, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Cuuuute little pig tails! Adorable!

Amanda April 18, 2012 at 12:21 pm

June is the cutest!

I took my daughter to get her first real haircut too. No point in me messing it up and feeling guilty about it until it grew out again! I can handle a bang trim, but a full on haircut is another thing.

maria April 18, 2012 at 12:22 pm

LOVE the pig tails!! Aww…those tiny tot pig tails may be the one thing that still makes me pine for a girl. Looks like she did great!

Paula S. April 18, 2012 at 1:17 pm

June did fine! As for your bowl cuts, I didn’t have that problem. My mother was a firm believer in the salon, which does have it’s place. She had me getting permanents all the time when I was little. I haven’t had one since I got old enough to assume control of my own hair! A trim every seven weeks is about all the time I can stomach at the salon, thank you.

susie April 18, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Ha! Just wait until she decided to cut her own hair! My daughter decided to cut her bangs (and every makeup brush I owned) one Christmas day. Everyone was playing with toys and I was busy in the kitchen. I had warned her not to cut her new doll’s hair…I didn’t think I needed to add her to the warning. The bangs were hilarious, and I took many pictures so she would remember when she had a daughter!

Paula S. April 18, 2012 at 3:35 pm

My hairdresser’s daughter pulled one like that. She had to wear a “Pebbles” up do ponytail for many months because she cut a huge chunk right out of the crown of her hair, as close to the scalp as she could get!

Penny April 18, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Awwwww!!! June is just too cute! My mom was a firm believer in the pixie. Thank heaven for getting older and having a say about my own hair.

Lisa April 18, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Shields up–I love that!! She’s a doll!

Carly April 18, 2012 at 3:12 pm

The green bows. They slay me.

Janelle April 18, 2012 at 3:38 pm

…brings back so many memories… When I was a little girl, I had long beautiful red hair with soft curls falling almost to my waist. I’m told I cried and complained every time my mother tried to brush it. So she decided to take me to get my hair cut shorter. Since I have 4 older brothers, she took me to the barber. I came home looking like a 5th son! I am scarred by that today!

katie April 18, 2012 at 4:44 pm

In school I was always the “weird one”.I have kinky hair and blue eyes and fair skin.I stood out like a neon sign,always getting teased and picked on because I was so different.My Mom took me to the barber to get a “poodle cut” and that just added to my dorky looks.Sometimes being a kid can be a tough road to travel.

deb April 18, 2012 at 6:14 pm

June looks so cute there——and the ‘bowl cut’ will always be a very sore subject in this house.

Juli April 18, 2012 at 7:06 pm

She is adorable! I like the pigtails much better than the crown pony!

Kat April 18, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Awww….cute wittle piggers! I spring for haircuts too – our stylist can have kiddo in, cut, styled and sucking on a lollipop in less than 10 minutes. Completely worth it!

Mom April 19, 2012 at 12:51 am

Back in the day when Jessie was young and often times money was tight her dad and I did what we had to do to stretch a dollar. Home hair cuts were not only a lot easier on the pocket book but it was a great way to have some one on one time with my 3 kids. I also cut my husband’s hair the entire 26 years we were together along with helping out family and friends when they needed a trim. Jessie was my child that assumed there was always more value in those things that came with a higher price…salon cuts, clothes with recognizable labels, store bought cakes in lieu of a baked one… She was aghast if we would ever stop to shop at a local Wal-Mart in fear that she might be spotted there by one of her friends. Her dad reminded her that if she were to be seen by one of her friends then that meant they too were shopping at Wal-Mart …so no need to become traumatized. I think the picture she posted is adorable!…and I will forever remain proud of the fact that I cut her hair and baked her birthday cakes and…and…and… I am hopeful that one day she might be proud of all of these things too. (I won’t be holding my breath.)
Barb (Jessie’s Mom)

Jessie K April 19, 2012 at 9:24 am

Are you sure we went to Walmart, not Kmart? I don’t recall any Walmarts in MT back in the 80s!

Chin April 19, 2012 at 9:12 am

Both of you are too cute! June with her pigtails and bows, and you with your 80s style bowl cut. Makes me smile!

Karen S. April 19, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I can’t exactly remember who cut my hair. It wasn’t my mom, because she to this day can’t cut a straight line. I think my dad just cut right across the bottom. I had very fine, limp hair as a kid and it was just long in one length and no bangs. No character, no definition, no body.
I cut my boys hair, but that’s easy with the clippers. Girl’s hair is more difficult, by far. June’s pigtails are really adorable.

Jessie K April 23, 2012 at 10:36 am

I find that hard to believe you had fine, limp hair as a kid. It’s so lustrous today!

Paula S. April 20, 2012 at 2:26 am

What does “Sears face” mean? I finally got enough nerve to ask.

Jessie K April 23, 2012 at 10:34 am

It means “cheesy catalog model face.”

Camilla April 21, 2012 at 12:26 am

So cute!! I was like your mum, I cut the boys hair because we couldn’t afford the cut and Max had some brutal cuts…thank god we were on better times when Alex can around!

Marietta April 21, 2012 at 9:05 am

I love your bowl cut! I was also a girl that had thick curly hair – I used to wear a hat to bed at night to “flatten” it out – I envied the girls with silky, straight bowl cuts – so pretty!

Carolyn April 21, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I think your bowl cut looks really cute on you in the picture (kudos to you, Barb!). Those pig-tails on Jessie get a big AWWWW. Also very cute!

Carolyn April 21, 2012 at 5:59 pm