Heartlandia!

by Jessie K on June 6, 2012

I’m pleased to announce that I’ve been tapped to be a recurring blogger over at the popular family/parenting website Babble!

I’ve dubbed my Babble blog “Heartlandia,” a title that suggests rural living with a slightly indie twist.  I’ll be writing about country stuff, chicken stuff, toddler stuff, moonshine stuff and army reserve stuff.   It won’t be much different from what I do here at Rurally Screwed, but the focus will skew more toward parenting and family and less on cocktail recipes and Ted Nugent.

My first essay “The End of Being a Military Wife…For Now” , about the conflicting, topsy-turvy emotions I felt during Jake’s long deployment, is up, if you’re interested. Click over and have a read!

Aunt Melanie June 6, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Awesome! Great picture of you!

sarah June 6, 2012 at 8:31 pm

read your essay, loved it, honest and raw and real. nicely done!

Penny Brinton June 6, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Jess I have been reading your book and I just wanted to tell you how much I am enjoying it. Your did a wonderful job and you are such a gifted writer. I have laughed and cried reading passages. I hope someday we can come and visit.

Jessie K June 7, 2012 at 10:34 am

Thank you, Penny! Hopefully I’ll get to see you guys in August? Looking forward to it!

Paula S. June 6, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Good work, Jessie. I hope other military wives who don’t fit in with the stereotype find it.

Kara June 11, 2012 at 8:39 am

Even when you are a 24/7, never ending, the military really is your life kinda military spouse, it’s hard when they are deployed. I have a hard time asking for help through our last deployment and I live in a foreign country. I was single at one time, so I figured I could do it again, but with 2 kids this time. It never works out as planned. It has to be hard for you though. At least I have a support system on base and in fellow spouses who understand. You can’t understand this if you’ve never been though it, no matter how hard you try to.