Summer of cocktails: Blueberry Basilito

by Jessie K on July 25, 2012

Today’s recipe comes from the new (?) Southern culinary magazine The Local PalateThink Lowcountry cuisine, “barbeculture” and of course, moonshine.

I have been looking for a great moonshine cocktail recipes for months and it wasn’t until I stumbled upon this story in The Local Palate that I found it.

Close readers may recall my experience trying to infuse a batch of hooch with rhubarb, which didn’t turn out so well, so I ended up adding blueberries and simple syrup in an attempt to salvage the mixture. I allowed it to linger in the liquor cabinet for a month or more to remove the harsh taste of the white lightening.

The taste mellowed quite a bit, making it a perfect addition to the Blueberry Basilito. If you don’t have access to shine, substitute vodka or, for teetotalers, blueberry juice.

To make, place 4 basil leaves, 2 teaspoons sugar and 2 tablespoons sparkling water in a jelly jar and lightly muddle.  Add 1 1/2 ounces blueberries, crush and stir.  Add ice, 1 1/2 ounces blueberry infused shine or vodka or juice, 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice. Stir and enjoy.

See previous summer cocktail recipes hereherehere and here.

Melora July 25, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I love basil and fruit combinations in summer drinks…I was just talking about red wine/blackberry/basil mixture from a few summers ago and now think I might have to revisit that. The lime seems like a great way to cut the sweet on this one!

Jessie K July 25, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Give it a try! It’s delicious!

Melora July 25, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I’ll take you up on that – blueberries added to my next market list. I might even have something…em…shine-y around for authenticity.

Jessica July 26, 2012 at 1:15 pm

How did you infuse the shine? I have some in the freezer right now that was rough by it’s self so I added fresh peaches and cherries to it. And I just recently picked wild blueberries and was thinking of adding those too…couldn’t hurt right? But i’m curious about adding the simple syrup…did that help with the roughness of the shine or will the fruit be sweet enough?

Katrina w July 26, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Thanks for this recipe, it was delish! Made it with basil from our garden and blueberries from my mother-in-laws blueberry firld in Maine. Yum!

Lin hamlin July 27, 2012 at 3:00 am

Mmmmmm good. I juiced some blueberries also. Never would have thought of basil with berries. Thanks!