How to make up a great bedtime story with your child

by Jessie K on October 12, 2012

I was over at a friend’s house the other night when her husband excused himself to go tell their two kids a bedtime story.

“Oh, what story are you guys reading?” I asked as he went upstairs.

“Oh, we’re not actually reading anything,” he said. “I make up the story as we go along…it’s become quite the epic with a cast of way too many characters.”

I thought that was so cool—to be able to make up a story. On the spot! With your kids!

Continue reading here.

Deirdre October 12, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I used to do that with my niece and nephew and was surprised at how easy it actually was. The best part was when they realized they could make up stories and tell them to me.

Deirdre October 12, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Oh, and because I wasn’t looking at a book I could see what they responded to and adjust as I went. It was awesome.

Brad K. October 13, 2012 at 1:18 am

Take a look at J.R.R. Tolkein’s “The Hobbit” and “Farmer Giles from Ham”. The lore I read says these started as stories for his children. And grew into the “Lord of the Rings”, and other novels.

Storytelling shouldn’t be rare, it is a gift given to a few, but you kind of have to turn off the electric stuff long enough for folk to settle back, and look to each other for an interesting moment. For a recorder to come out, or a drum or fiddle, or start swapping stories.

What a blessing it is, to know a storyteller.

Molly O October 13, 2012 at 11:22 am

My uncle used to tell us a story about a shark who ate chocolate chip cookies. We looked forward to those stories every time he visited for years!

tara belle October 15, 2012 at 1:34 pm

loooooved this post!

JulieO October 16, 2012 at 10:32 am

Holy smokes! My 6 yo girl LOVES ‘stories’ and so I indulge. I secretely dread when she asks…but then find it fun after I start to weave the story. I did not have story tellers in my family and so I think this is why I find it hard. My husband is so good at it that our girl will usually go to him first which I love. The car is where we do most story telling and she asks for the scary stories most. I recently bought a product called Story Cubes to help me get going…but they have not made it out of the package yet.
Thanks for posting this. It gives me a good nudge.