Man food

by Jessie K on October 24, 2012

Jake and I have this recurring…I don’t want to call it a “battle,” more like “debate with occasional tension”….about grocery shopping.

We split grocery shopping duties. Sometimes I go, sometimes he goes.

About a month ago, he went grocery shopping and came home with 20 bags of predominantly highly processed, high fructose corn syrup substances gussied up to resemble food. A lot of it was econo-size — Jake is incapable of passing up econo-size — which meant we ended up eating large spoonfuls of chemicals and preservatives for months.

As I unloaded the bags, I felt myself becoming testy.

“Seriously, Jake?” I ask, holding up a package. “‘Waffle nuggets?’ What the heck is a waffle nugget?”

Continue reading here.

Jan October 24, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Ugg, I know this grocery shopping story all too well only yours is the 2012 version while mine was the 1980 version. I could not deal with it and have always done the grocery shopping since. Can’t tell ya the last time hubby set foot in a grocery store, but that is o.k. by me as I also did not want my two boys raised on waffle nuggets and goodness knows what else. Policy is I shop, he and the boys unload the car and put it all away. With cell phones it gets even better as I phone home as I am pulling away from the store and come home to everyone standing in the driveway ready to unload.

Paula October 24, 2012 at 6:22 pm

When my husband retired, he volunteered to do the dishes and help with the grocery shopping. He is very good to get what I put on the list–if I am SPECIFIC. I can’t just say bread, milk, etc. He tends to add in odd treats for himself, such as pumpkin flavored milk, beef jerky, or those awful little pies in cardboard boxes–as if I never bake him a dessert.

Although he likes some junk food, he really appreciates good cooking, with colorful vegetables and such.

Jan, be careful about letting him go too long without visiting a grocery store. Some years ago, while we were both working and I always did the shopping, I asked him one day to stop and pick up a gallon of milk and a loaf of good whole wheat bread. He came home outraged, wanting to know if we always paid five dollars for bread and milk. Today, it’s close to eight dollars, but he knows that, as he shops.

Jessie, have you ever gone together to buy groceries? Some couples do this chore together, and watching what you pick might help Jake learn what you want.

Jessie K October 25, 2012 at 9:19 am

So funny — “those awful little pies in the cardboard box.” Ha ha! Jake buys those too! We grocery shop together about once every blue moon. It never seems to fit into the schedule.

Leah October 24, 2012 at 6:25 pm

I find that men and kids have a lot in common. If you say no to everything you alienate them and reap a world of agrivation. You have to pick your “no’s” (sorry about that). The kid can have his haircut within reason so that you can say no to staying out late with his friends. Your husband can have his “football food” so that you can vote no on that new truck. With age comes wisdom, learn your limits. Snacks aren’t all bad, especially on such a tall thin hunk as you’ve got. Hang in there.

Molly Odell October 24, 2012 at 8:42 pm

For the most part I try to snack on good food like fruit and nuts (and a few chips), but when I’m backpacking all my food rules go out the window – it’s all uncrustables, pop tarts, and pepperoni sticks for me!

Kat October 24, 2012 at 8:58 pm

This is where my sudden unemployment worked out well for us a couple of years ago. I had always been willing to pick up the junk snacks on the grocery list or a few impulse buys at the store. We had “an everything in moderation” approach to food but all of our food came from the grocery and about a third of it was way over-processed. Suddenly, our income went down by half and I found myself with lots of free time – started growing all our own produce for the year, buying/bartering locally for meat & such, making everything I could at home, and the grocery list was cut back to the bare minimum. Found a great job about a year later, but by then the habits had taken hold. Now usually the only requests are homemade car-snacks or to refill the cookie jar. As for Jake’s recent shopping trip, be sure to mention how much you appreciate his willingness to grocery shop AND how grateful you are that he took the time to stock up on so many healthier options for the family. It’s amazing how much of a difference it will make the next time he goes to the store.

Jessie K October 25, 2012 at 9:14 am

Oh believe me, I did. I told him his pina coloda fruit juice was just the bomb.

Janelle October 24, 2012 at 10:03 pm

After all your delicious home-cooking over the future years, Jake’s body will eventually reject the junk. He’ll ask for good snacks all through the day. And June too. But I agree with Leah, wholeheartedly.

Lois October 25, 2012 at 12:35 am

This made me laugh, I also wanted to tell you I nominated you for the Liebster Award

Jessie K October 25, 2012 at 9:10 am

Awesome! (What’s a Liebster Award?)

Pat October 25, 2012 at 8:15 am

Jessie, here is my male perspective and it comes down to one word “Balance”. I made meatloaf this passed Sunday night. I used good fresh ingredients like sage, thyme and parsley, but the balance came in the form of maple syrup and bacon wrapping. Yes, a bacon wrapped meatloaf. Yes that is balance. My idea of balance may defer than yours. Here is another example today we had our milk delivered fresh from Kilby Creamery along with our eggs and cream. You may ask were is the balance? for sometime I know I have! Kilby Creamery now delivers Apple Cider Donuts from Milburn Orchard. Balance! Just add Maple Syrup or Bacon or Donuts to your menu and you will have balance. I also spotted the sparkling cider in your picture. It works great in a whiskey smash. Bourbon, lemon, agave, bitters and sparkling cider. Not sure how the balance works here but it tastes great. Maybe Bourbon bring balance too??? Catherine smiled as we read you story last night.
Pat

Jessie K October 25, 2012 at 9:07 am

Bacon: The great equalizer. You hit the nail on the head, Pat!

Charlie October 25, 2012 at 9:56 am

I guess its confession time. I have eaten a cheese log.

Jessie K October 25, 2012 at 11:03 am

BUSTED!!!!

Chin October 25, 2012 at 10:01 am

Cheese logs. Haha. I’ll try one. Like Kat says, “everything in moderation” :)

Julie October 25, 2012 at 10:47 am

I splurged and bought a package of oreos 2 days ago. Went to get them after dinner last night (thinking I’d surprise the fam) and more than half of them were already gone! “Dear Lord!” I say to hubs. His reply, somewhat sheepishly, “What?”

Jessie K October 25, 2012 at 11:31 am

I assume he had cookie dust around his mouth when he said this. ;-)

Sheila October 25, 2012 at 12:35 pm

My sister’s first husband was a respected surgeon, a pillar of the community, and never let a bite of unhealthy food pass his lips. (Waffle nuggets? Mon dieu!) He also cheated on her. The man she’s now happily married to has M & M’s for breakfast, considers it a balanced meal if he remembers to ask for cheese on his chili dog, and loves her dearly. It’s a no-brainer, then — high fructose corn syrup and true love CAN co-exist! Hang in there, Jessie…

Jessie K October 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm
Susan October 25, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Ha! B is the same except he hides his bounty. I’ll find a stash of all things hostess and little Debbie tucked away next to little used kitchen equipment. What’s this next to my turkey platter, oh of course Swiss cake rolls, kit- kats, and taquitos – a rolled up tortilla chip dipped in bright red doritto like powder. But since his job is to grow healthy veggies, maybe he’s just checking out the competition!

Deirdre October 26, 2012 at 11:50 pm

It’s taken almost nine years, but my husband now reads labels. There are still too many nitrates and too much sodium, but he’s made progress and I’ve learned to pretend he always knew better.

Kim November 6, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I have to laugh because this is the conversation we had yesterday. Not the shopping part, the eating crap part. He wanted pop tarts for breakfast. After discussing and negotiating, we agreed on bagels and cream cheese. Probably not very good for him but it makes me feel better. And don’t even get me started about the vegetables! At least I get to have all of the carrot and sweet potato soup to myself.