Food for thought

by Jessie K on October 26, 2012

I came across this great quote about writing from Junot Diaz, Pulitzer Prize winning author of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and recently, How to Lose Her.

“Any kind of accolade, any kind of praise, that’s just provisional. If you’re serious about participating, if you’re serious about writing and reading, you know that what you’re really doing is trying to build a relationship with a reader—with a reader you will never meet and never see. You want a book to last longer than the fireworks of people saying, ‘Oh, you’ve done well, son. Good job.’ Really great art has to last. You never know if you’ve done really great art. There are plenty of people who were praised in their day that we don’t read anymore at all.”

So true. And so very intimidating as I approach this next book. Sigh…

Enjoy your weekend!

Janelle October 27, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Thank you for the well-weekend wishes. We’re preparing for Hurricane Sandy. Ugh. Not another stoooorrrrmm!

Jessie K October 28, 2012 at 11:55 am

I know! It’s petrifying! Batten down the hatches!

Ellen November 2, 2012 at 11:37 am

Love the quote. I constantly battle with the “it’s not good enough” voices about my creative work. I have developed a few mantras that help, my favorite. “trust yourself and trust those that believe in you, they believe in you for a reason.”
I love reading your blog it’s on my regular blog reading list. You’re connecting with people here, no reason to think you can’t connect with people in book format. A book format gives you more time to connect with your reader, your connecting in the blog format it’s short and your doing a great job with that! Anyway, I just wanted to leave a counter-intimidating message for you :)

Jessie K November 5, 2012 at 9:25 am

Hey, thanks, Ellen! You’ve made my day.

teresa November 3, 2012 at 7:56 am

Hi Jessie,
Junot Diaz is actually speaking at UMBC (University of Maryland, Baltimore County, http://www.umbc.edu) on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 7 p.m. (rescheduled from October). Any chance you’ll be in Baltimore then?
Happy Fall!
Teresa

Jessie K November 5, 2012 at 9:22 am

Whoa! Thank you for letting me know, Teresa. I’m going to try to make it!