Another senseless tragedy

by Jessie K on December 14, 2012

I’m leaving work early to go pick up June from preschool. What a horrible, horrible, horrible day.

Paula December 14, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I am stunned. The additional evil–doing this on the day the children were excited and happy because it was the last day before Christmas vacation–boggles the mind.

When are we going to mature enough as a nation to say ENOUGH! No civilian needs this kind of firepower to stop an intruder or put meat on the table. Are we becoming deadened to these horrible shootings because there are so many of them?

It’s time the people of this country stand up to the NRA and the right wing politicians and demand sensible gun laws. There is a middle ground between outlawing all guns and saying some guns are inappropriate for civilian use.

How many children have to die?

sarina December 17, 2012 at 7:57 am

Sorry.. but a shotgun could do damage like this.. also keep in mind thousands of children die each year in vehicle accidents… so if we want to target saving a meaningful number of kids.. let’s look there.

This was a horrible tragedy.. but gun laws probably wouldn’t have done much to prevent this kid from doing damage.

Jessie K December 17, 2012 at 9:58 am

I’m not sure a regular shot gun could inflict this type of damage. The bushmaster and the bullets it uses “has been used by Western military forces for decades, in part because it inflicts devastating damage” (New York Times).

sarina December 17, 2012 at 11:15 am

I believe rifles are good especially for distance killing.. a shotgun is a killer at the short range he had.. loaded with buckshot it would have been devastating at the close range. The rifle did have the advantage of more loaded rounds.. but he could have carried “a couple” shotguns and there are shotguns that have magazines.. I just don’t think gun “control” would have stopped this… or even limiting the “type” of weapon. It is just too sad to think people will do things like this.. but it is difficult to predict and prevent random crazy.

Sarah December 14, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Ohhhh. I had to hold my Zoey after seeing the headlines today. I can’t even read them because I start crying. So so so sad for all of those families:(

Leah December 14, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Sorry, but it’s not necessarily the guns. This country does nothing to help/control the insane. These people are insane. Their heads are wrong, but our laws provide more rights to criminals and insane than it does to their victims. Our politicians waste money at every turn. Money that could be used to better deal with the meantally disturbed. Instead they are turned out, ignored and left to do these crimes. We are so worred about political correctness that we allow this to happen. We encourage violent behavior with the movies and games we allow our children to experience. Games where your child participates in killings and the like. Parents no longer seem to care what that child does. Instead of blaming guns for it, how about blaming the inattention to the issues that put the fingers on the trigger. It is about time we went back to facing issues straight on and being involved closely with our children. Make our politicians answer for what has happened to a country that used to care but no longer even knows the score. They have sold us out, be they Democratic or Republican, they no longer do the jobs we vote them in for. Know your kids, know their friends. It is up to us, not gun control, to resolve these problems. They are not material problems, they are people problems.

amy December 15, 2012 at 6:16 pm

First of all, terrible. A terrible thing has happened again in the USA. I would like to remark on Leah´s comment….I totally agree with her. Although I do believe the US should tighten it´s guns laws, I also believe the guns will be there anyway. It´s all about family and time for the children. I know myself how difficult it is to have a full time job and take care of the household challenges and the children and on and on because it does go on and on and we are all – in the modern tech world – a bit overwhelmed. But the most important thing is the family. Even more important are the children. Be good to your children. LISTEN to them. If they don´t talk, then LISTEN with your heart. Our society is pretty screwed up and we need to rely on each other for help and good words. I can´t imagine that the gunsman had had a happy life up til now. These are things that we should all bear into mind before accusing. It makes me sad to hear that such a young person was capable of doing this. I wish for him a big hug from above, which is perhaps what he had needed all along.

Peg December 17, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I think both Amy and Leah make good points. I see this as a three part problem. People should be allowed to have guns for sport, but I can’t believe that anyone other than a soldier really needs an assault rifle. They should be banned and have controls put on the amount of ammunition you can buy.
We also need to look at mental health care in this country, we have been decreasing funding and services for those with mental illness for decades and this is part of the price we are paying. We need to help people who have mental health issues and fund their care.
Thirdly, we have such a violent culture, video games, tv shows, music, books, etc… we need to look at what entertains us, why it entertains us, and see if we can’t make better decisions and choices around those things and the things are children are exposed to.
I plan to do all I can in all three areas to honor the children who died in Connecticut, our country is better than this, and it should not happen here, or anywhere.

Joanne from Colorado December 17, 2012 at 4:37 pm

So do I. Well said Peg. How are you all getting back in the holiday spirit? I’m having a hard time. :(

Charlie December 18, 2012 at 10:48 am

Agree with all three of your points. We can do better. The old answers no longer work. It’s our challenge…right now.

Penny December 14, 2012 at 8:04 pm

So sad, don’t know what else to say. All I know to do is pray.

indio December 14, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I’ve been upset about this shooting all day. It struck very close to home because I drove by that school on Saturday and commented about what a quaint semi-rural community it is. This is one of many senseless tragedies that have happened recently.

Jessie K December 15, 2012 at 2:52 pm

It’s just so random and insane. It’s so so so heartbreaking.

Joanne from Colorado December 14, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Hold your little June tight tonight.

Janelle December 15, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I held my two today so tightly with tears pouring down my face. Senseless and horrific. I can’t stop thinking about it. I wish I could.

Kim December 16, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I tried to work in my studio but could not finish my project because I could not see for the tears. Our pervasive culture of violence and the virtual discarding of mentally ill people without any care or compassion is to blame for this. Virtually no funding for mental health issues. I wish you peace and love.