Lovely homemade Christmas tree ornaments

by Jessie K on December 19, 2012

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI really do have the craftiest friends. Check out these amazing DIY hand painted acorn ornaments by my artist friend Jen. Aren’t they gorgeous?

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI love her unexpected, non-Christmas-y color combos.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd the sparkly paint is a nice touch.

These are the my favorite kind of gifts — one of a kind, don’t cost much (the acorns were free, in fact) and personable. I’ll treasure them forever.  I’m not 100 percent sure how Jen went about executing this project but I found how-to directions for crafters out there who’d like to give a similar project a go.

Here’s another clever homemade ornament idea, made by my other crafty friend Beth.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAIt’s made out of wagon wheel pasta. How cool is that? This is a good one to make with kids. (See here for easy online directions.)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI might be able to handle making something like this one day with June. But Jen’s acorn ornaments? Forget it. Way out of my craft league.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe older I get, the more I enjoy collecting unique, one of a kind Christmas tree ornaments. So thanks again, Jen and Beth, for a few more stand out pieces to add to my collection.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Janelle December 19, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Soooo pretty!

sweetiepetitti December 19, 2012 at 12:40 pm

one of my favorite ornaments I received my first year in the south. It’s an okra pod painted to look like Santa. We all agree its our favorite way to have okra!!!

Jessie K December 20, 2012 at 9:37 am

So great!

Paula December 19, 2012 at 3:55 pm

The colors on the acorns are beautiful.

Beth-Anne Jones December 19, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Loving these! My boys would be into crafting them and even though I loathe crafting, I could muster up the ability to do these. Thanks for sharing!

GinnyN December 19, 2012 at 10:30 pm

I want to know what to do with canning jar rings. I only need to keep a dozen or so. must have 5 dozen. a wreath? i’ve seen a wreath of wine corks

Jessie K December 20, 2012 at 9:36 am

THat is such a great idea, GinnyN. I must have a similar amount of rings just languishing in a plastic bag. It would be great to make something out of them.

Jessie K December 20, 2012 at 9:54 am

Here’s a cool lid wreath. Maybe I’ll try something like this for next year. Thanks for inspiration.

Amoore January 29, 2013 at 7:44 pm

After doing all this work , I think I’d just start with wooden acorns. I made some several years ago using glitter and small screw eyes on top to tie a ribbon on to.

Betty Seu February 18, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Last Christmas my best friend gave me a really nice wooden Christmas ornament. It had my name and a picture of a reindeer engraved on it. It was super cool and I found out that a firm out in Colorado called Unique Custom Products made it. I am considering ordering from them this year…check them out if you like wooden item