Christmas gift from dad

by Jessie K on December 26, 2012

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAJune’s first headlamp!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWhat, you were expecting a baby doll?

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERANah, dad needs help collecting the eggs and checking the chickens…

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA…and building up the fire in the wood furnace…

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA…and collecting the mail…

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA…after work at night.

Now he’s got a cute, light bearing sidekick to do the evening chores with him.

(Headlamp from Petzl).

Joie@mellowyoursoul December 26, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Seriously the best present I’ve seen this year.

Jessie K December 26, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I’ll have to let Jake know!

Leah December 26, 2012 at 2:41 pm

This is actually June and Dad’s first Christmas together isn’t it? The smile and love on their faces!

Jessie K December 30, 2012 at 10:19 am

It’s their second but thanks for noticing! They spent June’s first Christmas together when she was about six months old; Jake left for Afghanistan a couple of months later.

Deirdre December 26, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Several years ago my father gave flashlight sets to all his grandchildren. It was the best Christmas gift he ever gave them. I’m sure June will love her headlamp.

mouse December 26, 2012 at 2:47 pm

This post hit a special place in my country-girl heart. Some of my fondest memories are of “helping” with chores. June’s got a really great dad. (And mom! But we already knew that.)

Molly O December 26, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Same gift we got for our three year old nephew. A headlamp is very important in Alaska where there are only five hours of daylight this time of year (coversly, he’ll never need it in the summer)!

Peg December 26, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Love the smile on June’s face and her little pj’s, so adorable.

Jessie K December 30, 2012 at 10:20 am

Hand me downs from cousin Maddie!

kirsten December 26, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I have a headlamp flashlight and I love it……great for grilling in the dark! cute pictures!

deb December 26, 2012 at 6:30 pm

What a nice series of photos–love that happy smile and her sweet pajamas!

bladerunner5 December 27, 2012 at 12:51 pm

That’s fantastic. Wait till she figures out reading under her covers or hidden away in her closet!

Karen S. December 28, 2012 at 8:39 am

Headlamps are a favorite in our house, with the small boys and large one. They are also good for working on the steam engines, caving expeditions in the closet, and impromptu campouts in the bedroom.

Janelle December 31, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I got our kids headlamps for Christmas as well!

lily lok January 26, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Hi Jessie
Didn’t know how to contact you so am leaving a message/comment. I just finished your book and laughed and cried. I just loved it!! When you lost your 2 dogs, i cried with you, when you went through your period of self doubt, i completely related. And the letter from Jake at the end of the book was more romantic than poetry or love songs can ever be. in fact, it is poetry and a love song. You’re so lucky to have found a great guy and i only wish my own daughter will someday find a “Jake”.
Keep up the good work and thanks for a great book.

Jessie K January 28, 2013 at 11:29 am

I love you so hard, Lily! Thank you!

Troyanne December 27, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I bought your book on a whim… and because the blurb made it sound like a “Coming to recognize simple things are best,” story. I loved every word of it. (Although I have to admit that Montana is one of my most beloved places, I also realize that there’s not much there in the area of widening your life experiences and becoming more sophisticated.)
I also grew up in the country, although I never took it for granted. I loved to get away, and now, some forty years later, I’m loving coming back. My family is amazed how much “stuff.” I know about living out here, since they have never known me as other than a city person. Your story rings true… Great Job!