Under the weather in sunny Florida

by Jessie K on December 30, 2012

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAJune and I have been down in Florida all week visiting Grandma and Grandpa (my dad, pictured with June above). It’s been a low-key trip — hanging out, taking walks, drinking wine, eating vast quantities of cookies and cheese, watching movies, upchucking.

Yeah, two nights after our arrival, June came down with a crazy bug and spent the night throwing up, then I caught the same bug two days later and was confined to bed for a day and vomited at night. I can only imagine what awaits Grandma and Grandpa after we leave. Holiday cheer for the whole family!

While under the weather, we watched Godfathers I, II and III. I’m almost embarrassed to admit I’d never seen any of The Godfathers before this week. I didn’t even know Diane Keaton was in any of them! But what better to do when you’re sick than watch 12 hours of an increasingly hammy, spewing Al Pacino?  I’m not sure what precipitated the flu bug, but it might have been Godfather III. Seriously. What is up with that movie?

Paula December 30, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I saw Godfather I when it first came out, and read the novel. I enjoyed it, but have had no desire to see any of the others. The violence in the first was enough, thanks.

I do love the music. We still have an album of the music by Al Martin0?–I think. “Speak Softly Love” is a song that stays with you.

Alice December 30, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Just so you don’t feel alone we have the same bug on the opposite side of the nation (Seattle, WA). We have been catching up on our DVR’d Christmas movies. I hope to start the New Year off flu free!

Jessie K January 2, 2013 at 10:09 am

Bummer! Thankfully, ours was short lived — lasted a day and a half.

deb December 30, 2012 at 7:22 pm

nice picture—-Happy New Year!

sweetiepetitti December 31, 2012 at 9:49 am

I would love a day to watch them..minus the other stuff. I have never seen any of them….

Joanne from Colorado December 31, 2012 at 11:11 am

Oh no! Get better soon, and Happy New Year. Sometimes it’s better to stop after the second movie in a series I think. ;)

Penny December 31, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Too bad you girls were sick…hope you are feeling better and no one else gets it. Love the pic! :)

Tess December 31, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Grampa is sick today. So I’m either the Typhoid Mary of this outbreak, or I will be sick very soon, perhaps spending New Year’s Day curled up on the couch rewatching all those Godfather pics. Love, Grandma Tess

Penny December 31, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Prayerfully Grandpa Tess will be on the mend soon….and Grandma won’t get it. HAPPY 2013 TO YOU ALL!!

Janelle December 31, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Oh, I hope you all get better soon.
Reminds me of Christmas day a few years back when my parents came for a visit. We were in the middle of opening presents, and all of a sudden, I looked at my husband, pale face and declared, “Oh man. I think I’m going to be sick.” And voilà, I was. What a Christmas Day it was. Luckily no one else got it.
Best of luck for a fast recovery and may no one else get your bug.

Jessie K January 2, 2013 at 10:07 am

Unfortunately, we passed it on to Grandpa.

Janelle January 2, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Not surprising. Grandparents aren’t used to toddler germs. So sorry to hear that. Hopefully Grandpa got better quickly.

sarina January 2, 2013 at 10:37 am

Weird.. I had strep throat in florida too no less. The cough started on the drive down on Thursday before Christmas.. by Sunday I went into the doc in a box for a round of antibiotics.. was sickish for another few days (with visiting guests).. finally felt semi normal the last two days of our 21 day vaca.. nuts I tell you. I am just absolutely shocked that Bert didn’t get the bug..lol