Happy New Year!

by Jessie K on January 2, 2013

IMG_4948Happy New Year, everyone!

We had a fairly low key New Year’s Eve (we didn’t get invited to one party, what is up with that?). I bought several pounds of fresher than fresh seafood while up in Baltimore — native Baltimoreans head to Frank’s — and we spent the last couple of nights dining on buttery garlicky shrimp scampi and pan fried salmon. Isn’t that the tradition? Eating seafood on New Year’s? Jake and I also split a bottle of champagne, ate some Bangkok Peanut ice cream and watched season 1 Game of Thrones. Wooooooot!  ‘Cause that how we do it here in kuh-razy town.

Julie January 2, 2013 at 12:15 pm

The seafood sounds great! We usually have blackeyed peas for luck and collard greens for wealth in the new year. Usually there’s some sort of pork to season it. So I threw it in a crock pot with a pork loin. And we watched A Christmas Story, AGAIN!
Big times in this house, I tell ya. So interesting how our lives change…It felt great to be cozy at home on new years eve. weird.
Maybe it was the fine wine in my glass.
Happy New Year!

Penny January 2, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I’m with Julie. As my husband slept, my two youngest and I celebrated with a tray of appetizers and a bottle of fine Welches sparkling grape juice. Much better than a hangover the next day.

Paula January 2, 2013 at 3:07 pm

We, also, are of the safe and cozy at home New Year’s Eve tradition. A nice snack buffet supper, including shrimp, watched a movie, then watched the ball drop in NYC, and a new tradition the last few years, watching the NY celebration from Beale Street on PBS. Better music than NY. A pleasant surprise after Beale Street was a Lincoln Center tribute to the music of Marvin Hamlisch.
We always had champagne in the past, but I’ve given up cokes, black tea, coffee and liquor for health reasons for the past year—:(—-. My dear husband decided to drink the sparkling Welches’ that was all I would allow myself a few sips of. First carbonation I’ve had in a year!
It was cold and wet here, it was good to be safe and warm at home.
Happy New Year, everybody!

Janelle January 2, 2013 at 6:43 pm

You know what I was doing New Year’s Eve? Catching up on YOUR BLOG! ;-) I was away on vacation with my family and missed your entries. We got home late that night, and everyone fell asleep early but me. A perfect night.

Gwynn January 5, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Quiet evening for my hubby and me too! No fireworks around the neighborhood (thank goodness) there are horses next door who get spooked by them – Just enjoyed sitting by the fire and being thankful that our children and grandchildren are happy and healthy. I must say that I love the photo accompanying this blog…very sweet!

Jessie K January 6, 2013 at 8:06 am

Sounds like you had an enjoyable evening too. And thanks for the compliment!