Consumption Diet check in

by Jessie K on January 6, 2013

I’m one week into my Consumption Diet, in which I try to abstain from buying anything for myself other than food and necessities (Maybelline Great Lash is a necessity!) for a period of five months. So far, it’s gone without incident. I think a lot of people feel the way I do after the holidays — glutted after spending $$$ on gifts, travel, wine and many cheese logs. I’m not surprised week 1 was so easy.

The only moment in which I felt deprived was when I realized I needed a new calendar for the kitchen but  — AAAAAGH!!! — I’m not allowed to buy one. Damn this stupid diet!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAMy first thought was, Oh, I’ll have Jake buy one for me, he he, but that of course defeats the purpose of the diet so I begrudgingly nixed it. And then I wondered, maybe I won’t actually die without a calendar in the kitchen. Maybe I’m just conditioned to having one there. Maybe a calendar is just The Man’s way of keeping me down. Yeah! That’s it! Take that, Man, and your concept of time!  So I let it go. I don’t need a wall calendar. I don’t need to be reminded I’m one step closer to death everytime I fetch a glass of orange juice.  Besides, I have calendars in my iPhone, laptop and iPad.

And just when I made peace with not having a calendar, Jake hauled one out from somewhere. It’s super ugly and industrial (someone gave it to him for the holidays), it’s big as a chalkboard and looks like it belongs in a plumber’s office, but it’ll have to do and it’s free. Guess I’m shackled to time after all.

And then I looked on the back of my old calendar to see how much money I saved by not buying a pretty new one with unicorns and daisies: $15.  I didn’t realize pretty calendars were so spendy. That’s a whole $15 I can put toward a trip to Reno.

Paula January 6, 2013 at 10:48 am

You were lucky; not nearly as many business give them away as used to. I LOVE beautiful “theme” calendars, especially the teapot ones. But they are too expensive. I rarely allow myself one anymore, after finding that around December, you can usually find acceptable ones at dollar stores for one dollar. That’s when I buy the number we need. The quality isn’t as good, but they are attractive and will do, and in a year, they are trash, whether they cost one dollar or fifteen.

I share your feelings that cutting back in January is relatively easy. We feel glutted with buying and eating, and look forward to simple living and simple cooking.

Shelby January 6, 2013 at 11:00 am

I was going to suggest a free calendar (they are everywhere) or you could print one.

Brad K. January 7, 2013 at 12:19 am

If you have microsoft word, there is a template, a “calendar wizard” for free.

If you don’t, there is OpenOffice.org. This is a complete, free office tools suite (spreadsheet, word processor, presentation page maker, database, etc.) ready to download and use. One of the calendar templates for OpenOffice is

Luck!

Janelle January 6, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I like this consumption diet idea. Can’t wait to see how it goes for you. I know so many people who are extreme consumers. Very sad to me. Reduce, reuse, recycle, restore. And my favorite, a WWII slogan: Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

Katie January 6, 2013 at 5:53 pm

There are some fantastic graphic artists who will give free downloads of calendars they design & you just print out…

Meaghan January 7, 2013 at 8:04 am

I made a homemade calendar that I use to plot out all the bills/paychecks so i know when what is due. It’s just an excel spreadsheet, and each year I just have to change the numbers in the squares. I’d be happy to email you the file if you’d like something in a more manageable size.

Shelby January 7, 2013 at 10:44 am

Also, Shutterfly is offering a free calendar over the next couple of days. Here’s the promo code I received: X7S8-5XC1-VES4-7D2C6W

Kat January 9, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I’m extra-cheap and we use google calendar so I just print out the month and tape it on the hand-print calendar pages my daughter made 4 (eek!) years ago in pre-school. Looks cute enough and I don’t have to mess with making sure information is online and on the wall.