My afternoon with the amazing Katie Couric

by Jessie K on January 11, 2013

I’m finally back in Virginia after a whirlwind trip to New York to appear as a guest on the Katie show, Katie Couric’s new talk show. The segment airs today — January 11 — at 3 p.m. EST on ABC.  Click here to keep reading.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Paula January 11, 2013 at 2:38 pm

It’s still pre show time here. Looking forward to it. For the first fifty some years of my life, from the time I was old enough to wear makeup, I never, ever went to school or work without full makeup. Tastefully applied with a light hand, no looking cheap or tacky for me.
I lost my job when I was 56 and became accustomed to wearing only moisturizer, dark circle concealer, sheer powder brushed on, and lipstick. The more I did that, the more I got used to the way I looked that way. I’m almost over the feeling like I’m in a room full of strangers naked thing when I let people see me without mascara. On the rare occasion I feel I have to wear it, it feels dirty. I hate it.

During this same period, I had my hair cut into a classic bob for the first time ever. No more curling irons or hot rollers. Hairspray use reduced by 98%.

All in all, at age 60, I have a minimum of an extra hour of time a day!

Paula January 11, 2013 at 11:25 pm

You did very well; you seemed quite relaxed and at ease. Plus you looked fine without makeup. Not just anyone could cause me to watch daytime TV!

gypsypf January 11, 2013 at 3:49 pm

To quote a president here — Mission Accomplished!

Worked at home this frigid western Colorado day specifically to watch you on “Katie” at Noon. You looked wa-a-a-y more relaxed than in your last (local TV) interview. June stole the show in the clip, looking adorable, confident and well socialized as she approached the camera. There was a fairly lengthy camera shot of the new paperback cover. And you slipped in a few zingers on Katie (hope that underwear thing resolved itself).

Just what we expect from our girl. You rocked it!

Pam from Colorado, AKA gypsypf

Barbara January 11, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Watching you on Katie right now! Love to watch you on the show after reading your blog every day. Go you!

ThomG January 11, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Agree…you rocked it!!!

Jessie K January 14, 2013 at 9:25 am

Why, thank you, Thom!

Diane January 11, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I watched just to see you and wasn’t disappointed. You may have felt nervous and tongue tied but you looked and sounded as though you do this everyday. I wish they had kept you on longer, though. If that was you without make-up you looked great and although she kept saying she felt naked without her make-up I thought Katie looked fantastic, too. I, too, am trying to purge my life of excess stuff although none of mine is as classy as yours.

Jessie K January 14, 2013 at 9:24 am

Then all the more reason to toss it!

Bob1603 January 12, 2013 at 9:32 am

Well done Jessie, well done indeed.

Kathryn January 12, 2013 at 9:33 am

Great job!! You were so funny and poised, I loved it!

Jessie K January 14, 2013 at 9:24 am

Thanks, Kathryn!

Charlie January 12, 2013 at 11:06 am

Since most of my daytime TV viewing consists of Sports Center and CNN I missed the Katie show yesterday afternoon. Watched this morning on her website and you did great. Your a natural. The Jessie Show may be in your future!

Sue Corbin January 12, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Jessie, you were terrific. You looked great — I really thought you were the best looking without make up of any of them. So glad you had such a wonderful opportunity.

Jessie K January 14, 2013 at 9:24 am

Well, it wasn’t a beauty contest (ha!) but thank you for the compliment, Sue. And it was an amazing opportunity for sure.

Molly O January 12, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Just watched some clips from the Katie website. You sounded great! And it inspired me to finally tackle all the toiletries in our bathroom closet (yes, we have a closet in our bathroom – it’s a bad idea, it just fills up with STUFF). Feels good!

I also liked what you said about working on fashion magazines – that after a while it was just a job. People tend to ask my husband similar questions since we both work in professions that occasionally consult with or do contracts for oil and gas companies. A lot of people think we’ve sold our soles to the devil, or that we just hate the earth. But hey, it’s a job and it pays the bills. And EVERYBODY in this society uses oil and gas to some extent, no need to be on a high horse about it. I vote for alternative energy projects and I think that’s what really matters.

Jessie K January 14, 2013 at 9:23 am

Good for you, Molly! And I can’t recommend ditching the contents of your medicine cabinet enough. Feels so good.

Bob F January 12, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Jessie, you know what? You did good, good indeed.

Shelby January 13, 2013 at 3:19 pm

So I DVR’d the show and am just now watching it…
1) June is unbelievably cute.
2) Katie kept talking about how bad she looked without makeup and honestly, I think that all of you ladies looked incredibly beautiful. I guess I recognize that sometimes I like to get all dolled up and wear make up and other times (most times) I’m ok walking out of the house looking natural, a little moisturizer on my face and Burt’s Bees on my lips and I’m good to go.
3) You did a great job! You have to be proud :-)
4) Now the world knows that Rurally Screwed goes commando LOL
Great Job Jessie!!

Jessie K January 14, 2013 at 9:21 am

I know! I thought Katie looked amazing. AMAZING! But in the TV world, where appearances are everything, I wonder what would happen if she opted for a more natural look. Probably nothing, particularly for a woman of her stature, but one of the other guests and I were wondering if Katie Couric could have achieved the heights she has without cosmetics. About the commando slip — anything for a laugh, right? hee hee

mouse January 13, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Cute tights! And you did great. :)

Jessie K January 14, 2013 at 9:17 am

Hee hee, I had to wear something to offset the drabness of the brown Goodwill dress.

Jeannie January 14, 2013 at 12:07 am

Hey Jessie,

You did fantastic on the show! You looked “naturally” beautiful as always and I can’t tell you how much fun it was to hear your voice again. I’m so happy for you and the wonderful life you’ve made with Jake and June. :)

Jessie K January 14, 2013 at 9:17 am

Great to hear from you, Jeannie and THANK YOU. I was so nervous.

Laura January 14, 2013 at 10:43 am

I thought of you so much last week- I can only imagine how you were feeling, but I just watched the clip on the website and you are fabulous- candid, funny, and gorgeous as usual! Congrats!

Jessie K January 15, 2013 at 10:16 am

Stop! You’re just saying that. ;-)