A Virginia bull ride

by Jessie K on January 15, 2013

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI watched myself on the Katie show Friday, and went to a bullriding competition on Saturday. I feel a Carrie Underwood song coming on.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI met my husband at a rodeo. The most amazing rodeo ever that happens to take place in Miles City, Montana. Ten years ago! It’s a little sad to think we haven’t been to another one since. Until Saturday.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI wore my pointy toe cowboy boots. Jake urged me to buy these babies shortly after we moved to Lexington. That was during my high “I’m gonna be a bonafide country girl!” phase that quickly turned to cow pie after I realized that lifestyle entailed a lot of grueling manual labor. I ended up shelving the boots for about five years.  Besides, I’m more of a rounded toe cowboy boot fan. The pointy toe is so….snazzy? But I pulled them out very recently once it dawned on me they look pretty great with leggings and a chunky sweater.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI think it was hard for Jake, a former bull rider, to sit in the stands while other cowboys risked their necks on rampaging livestock.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThere he is — pretending to enjoy himself and sit calmly while other alpha dudes tried to hang on for the grueling 8 seconds. But age and wisdom are incompatible with bull riding. It’s a young man’s sport….a young man who doesn’t have much to lose other than, say, use of his limbs.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHere is the event’s only female bull rider.  I had never seen a female bull rider before. She got tossed just like the rest of them, but I was still very impressed by her cajones and her model good looks. This gal is every cowboy’s dream.

Janelle January 15, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Girls rule!

Paula January 15, 2013 at 6:09 pm

It’s never been clear to me why an otherwise intelligent person would sit on a bull when the bull clearly didn’t want him to. Glad Jake gave it up before disaster struck.

Jessie K January 16, 2013 at 9:24 am

Bull riding is about ADRENALINE — the thrill of the stomp. Jake is a serious adrenaline junkie. He’s broken nearly every bone in his body though none since we’ve been together, thank goodness. Hopefully those days are behind him!

Leah January 16, 2013 at 8:33 am

Looking at the jeans, plaid shirt and that grin, I think if they announced “come on down, we have a bull for you” someone would be on it faster than it could buck him off. That boy is still young enough no matter what anyone thinks!

Jeff April 24, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Hey. You only rode horses when i saw you last. Your a great young lady
good luck bull riding.

sarina January 16, 2013 at 2:23 pm

My trainer married a bull-rider who retired about 28.. lol. It IS a young man’s sport. As for his injuries.. of course there was the missing front couple of teeth.. oh.. and that time the bull stepped on his junk and he needed umpteen stitches “down there.” and wore sweatpants for about 6 weeks!

Charlie January 17, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Wow! Grew up in Texas and had two friends in H.S. who went to college on rodeo scholarships. One guy and one girl, he was a bull rider and she was a barrel racer. I guess it shows my age but I have never seen a female bull rider. It takes brass to climb aboard one of those. My hats off to her!