I’m no craft mom

by Jessie K on January 17, 2013

2013_01140011aI love all the little crafts June gets to make at her preschool. Here, her foot is pressed into washable black ink…

IMG_5064…and turned into a fabulous foot penguin.  A masterpiece.

There’s another benefit to this school’s heavy arts and crafts curriculum: it takes the pressure of me to be all “craft mom” when June and I are together.

I suck at crafting (full disclosure: I know how to sew). Don’t ask me to macrame or knit or paint. Don’t ask me to stamp, bead or emboss. Oh sure, June and I have been known to color the occasional dragon or flower together and we baked some Christmas cookies this one time, but that’s pretty much the extent of our glue gun type bonding.

Real crafting, the kind merrily depicted in Martha Stewart Living, Real Simple, Sew Fancy or on the avalanche of craft blogs, fills me with a kind of low grade anxiety — thinking about the preparation, the shopping, the clean up (NOOOO! NOT THE CLEAN UP!), then figuring out where to store all these whimsical creations. Nah, I’d much rather stick June in a corner with a couple rocks and a juice box and call it good, thankful her preschool is willing to make foot penguins on parents’ behalf. We are so very thankful.

Julie January 17, 2013 at 8:25 pm

hahaahaaaaahaahhaa! I love it. I’m with ya.

Julie January 17, 2013 at 8:30 pm

The footprint penguin is GREAT! I might be able to try this one– seeing how awesome it turns out. Thanks June!

Janelle January 17, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I hear ya, girl. Nothing crafty or artsy about this NJ girl. So thankful for preschool, as well.

Lisa January 18, 2013 at 10:50 am

I had no choice when Holly was little! She loved anything that made a mess. She actually made clay out of the mud in our backyard. Doesn’t sound that tough or messy but a bucket of the stuff had to sit on the deck for weeks while she did whatever the book said to do to it (I was not involved). Then when the process was done, she made several small clay bowls out of it!! Who knew, I was so proud. By the way, she is 30 now and has her art degree and is still making messes. They are worth all the messes she made as a child.

Diane January 18, 2013 at 12:54 pm

When my kids were growing up my one arts and crafts taboo was glitter and, although my children all seem to be OK I’ve always harbored a minor guilt over it. But, once you let the stuff in the house it never leaves no matter how much you vacuum. You find it everywhere, forever! You can look down at a clean carpet today and identify a shiny remnant from a 25 year old art project. I am convinced it spontaneously reproduces. Thank you. I feel much better now. The foot penguin is adorable, by the way.

Rose January 20, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I loved crafting and reading aloud but hated playing board games! Glad you cut yourself some slack; we can’t be all things to our children. Mine grew up just fine, and June will too!