Lady Mary and her spectacular eyebrows

by Jessie K on February 15, 2013

bts-3x05-downton-abbey-32502859-3000-2000-1357582475_maxI love Downton Abbey, but I am obsessed with Lady Mary’s perfectly arched brows.

mqkzBQULook at those things! Neatly arched but still look natural.  It’s so fascinating how simply the shape of the brow can set off a face.

2013goldenglobes_michelledockery001The actress Michelle Dockery is already drop dead gorgeous — she reminds me of Snow White, with that lovely pale skin, dark eyes and dark hair — but those spectacular brows make her a bonafide Blue Blood.

6be55da36e682d2b7e281805ad429f4bAre some people born with perfectly arched brows?

20ba770d533d2bc234879c16767ea9d3Or do they more often come courtesy of a steady hand and a fantastic pair of tweezers?

f9f4bc93383f2e2220adb14b53d40de6I’d love perfectly arched brows but I’m too scared to pluck them myself. Nothing looks worse than an over tweeze! What about you? Do you pluck? Pay someone to do it for you? Or leave them au naturale?

See a perfectly arched brow tutorial from Allure here.

(Second to last photo from Miu Miu backstage; last photo from Allure.)

Cyn February 15, 2013 at 11:09 am

I have the lacey necklace she is wearing in the 2nd picture above. I bought mine years ago from a catalog, Tascano Designs. Love the show too!

Michele February 15, 2013 at 11:32 am

Hm. All of these eyebrows look “fabricated” to me. I have not plucked my brows in probably 20 years .. just a stray every now and then. I plucked the “arch” long ago and it seems they just stayed that way. My sister has hers waxed fairly regularly because hers grow in fuller than mine.

I have not seen any of Downton Abbey but everyone keeps talking about it! Might check it out.

Jessie K February 15, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Season 1 is outstanding…for the gowns and eyebrows alone.

Ashley Wilson February 15, 2013 at 11:32 am

This is gonna sound SO strange–but my eyebrows are one of my favorite parts of myself. I didn’t mess with them until I was 15 or 16, so they had time to really develop a shape. They are perfectly arched, but I definitely do NOT over-tweeze–nothing looks worse than a little line. I like to think they give my face more expression :)

Jessie K February 15, 2013 at 12:05 pm

You lucky girl!

Annette February 15, 2013 at 11:53 am

I love watching Lady Mary and her eyebrows. I vote for born with them in the “How do people acquire them’? category. My 4 year old granddaughter inherited hers from her maternal grandmother and a little bit from me and they give her such an expressive face. I can’t wait to see how it looks as she grows up. I keep mine in shape with professional waxing but only a few times a year. A warning to older women- at a certain age they never grow back. So be careful what you pluck!

Brenda February 15, 2013 at 2:44 pm

So true about brow growth. I pencil in the ends of my brows. Once a month I get them waxed to maintain their shape.

Jill Adams February 15, 2013 at 12:01 pm

I am a huge believer in the pluck, wax, or laser hair removal; grooming the brow is important ladies! I used to never ever never pluck my brows until I was 27 years old! I was in my BFF’s wedding and she forced me to groom and I’ve never stopped since. I think plucking your eyebrows can really open up your eyes and I feel better about not wearing make-up when I’ve just plucked my eyebrows. I get my eyebrows waxed about twice a year so they have a great shape and then I pluck in between waxing. I tried waxing myself but didn’t have the courage to rip the strip fast enough; I ended up with a mess of wax all over my eyes. . . Following a how-to guide is important, I have a friend who plucks her eyebrows to much; she has created a huge space between her eyes now so she always looks angry. Thanks for posting the tutorial Jessie!

Jessie K February 15, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I don’t mean to laugh at your friend, but how tragic is that? Overplucking to the point of perma-anger! LOLZ.

Jill Adams February 15, 2013 at 3:16 pm

It’s really bad… I don’t know if I should tell her. Am I good friend for telling her she needs to let her eyebrows grow back, or a better friends for not saying anything? I’m might post the tutorial on Facebook and hope she takes a look.

Janelle February 15, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I’m a redhead, and I just wish you could SEE my eyebrows – they’re so light! Never a pluck!

Kim February 15, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Same here, Janelle. But the good news is they’re so pale I can pencil in perfect brows and no-one is the wiser.

I have considered getting them tattooed, but I can make a pencil line look more natural than a tatt would, I think.

sweetiepetitti February 15, 2013 at 6:46 pm

I also have eyebrow envy…and am loving Downton Abbey, I already watched all of season 3…I couldn’t help myself. I have no eyebrows…well a few, but I have to pencil in the bare spots. My daughter has to get waxed every 3 weeks or the caterpillar looms above her eyes…not fair!

steph February 15, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I’m with Emily. My eyebrows are my best feature. People refuse to believe they’re completely natural. I, like most women, don’t have the best self esteem and have only recently come to appreciate them. Not only for the arch, but also because they become animated when I get excited about something :-)

Ydubby February 15, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Just be careful about doing anything permanent to your eyebrows. One thing they don’t tell you is that as you age , hair thins and doesn’t grow back. Then you won’t have ANY eyebrows and have to draw them on. (sigh) and no one looks good without eyebrows.

Olga February 15, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I tweeze mine, but only to clean up my natural shape. My self esteem is just fine, so I can’t imagine paying for the torture of waxing near the eyes – sounds hellish. I guess if I had a lot to tweeze/wax I would lazer them. Lazer is the way to go for all that sort of stuff. But I agree with the above comment that these arches look fabricated. I think keeping in shape what nature gave us is a more sensible way to go.

Charlotte February 16, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I get mine waxed/cleaned up when I get my hair cut (about every 6-8 weeks, short hair here). As I age, um, I’m growing old-man curly eyebrow hairs! Horrifying! Ungroomed I start to look like Czeslaw Milosz.
Curse my curly-haired Irish ancestors …