Cars and Trucks and Things That Go

by Jessie K on February 18, 2013

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAJune cycles through a lot of books but her current favorite is the Richard Scarry classic Cars and Trucks and Things That Go.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAIt was a gift from my good friend Anna when June was just a wee thing. It’s only now June has been able to lock on to the colorful illustrations. Every manner of machinery is depicted: ambulances, tow trucks, tourist buses, garbage trucks, forklifts, motor homes and plenty of weirdo vehicles as well ¬†(the jack-o-lantern car, the pickle car, the alligator mobile…).

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHer favorite part is trying to find Goldbug on every page.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThere he is! You can just make out his little Goldbug head behind the wheel of the red and blue car.

I never had this book when I was a kid, but it was a favorite of Jake’s. We love reading it with June….even though it’s 69 pages! Definitely not the ideal book to read when hustling a toddler ¬†into bed by the 7 p.m. bedtime. Not surprisingly, June hits the sack late most nights.

Thanks, Anna!

mikeknadler February 18, 2013 at 11:19 am

Maybe that’s why she likes that book, Jesse…because it gets her to bed a little later than usual. Never underestimate the ability of a 2 year old to manipulate her parents. Just a thought.

Leah February 18, 2013 at 11:59 am

Perhaps that book is what brought Jake to his love of trucks and machinery. It’s good to see a child with a decent bedtime, even if she is a little late sometimes. Togetherness and reading is a good reason for sometimes being late.

Jessie K February 18, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Hey! You’re right! She’s been playing me all along! ;-)

JohnD February 18, 2013 at 2:11 pm

That was one of my favorite books to read to my boys. Sometimes I think I enjoyed it more than them.

Jessica February 18, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Richard Scarry is the best! Another Busytown favorite is the board game, it is a fantastic game that can be modified for younger kiddos too. There is a goldbug mystery card element also, so fun!

Penny February 18, 2013 at 4:30 pm

You can never go wrong reading to children. I read to mine when they were in the womb. They’re 13 and 15 and I still read to them when they’ll let me. :-)

Karen S. February 18, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I had several Busytown books as a child. I love Lowly and Goldbug. The boys are big fans too. We have the afore mentioned board game, which is good fun. And they like to watch the Busytown Mysteries on Netflix. It’s one of the more appealing shows in their repertoire at the moment. And educational.

WendyP February 18, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Richard Scarry is the bomb.

As for bedtime stories – I have a huge collection of picture books. For work. No, really. Anyway, when I’ve been good, my husband will read to me at bedtime. He even does voices and everything. One of the best presents he ever gave me was when we were dating and he worked a really goofy shift that gave us almost no time together during the week, he recorded himself reading about a dozen stories onto a CD for me. We’ve since had to burn copies for about a dozen friends who like his style. And none of them have little kids!

Stockyard Queen February 18, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Do you have Little Blue Truck? The illustrator is a friend of mine.

Jessie K February 19, 2013 at 10:11 am

NO! But it’s funny you mention that because we have a little blue truck (as opposed to dad’s big heavy duty blue work truck) that June calls the “Little blue truck.” I’ll have to look into that book. Thanks for the suggestion.

Stockyard Queen February 19, 2013 at 5:21 pm

June might really like it.

Accacia February 18, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I learned to read with Richard Scarry – sitting on my grandma’s lap. I love that June loves this book!

Jessie K February 19, 2013 at 10:10 am

Aww, that is so sweet, Accacia!

Christy February 25, 2013 at 1:37 pm

My three twenty-something children all loved Richard Scarry books when they were toddlers. My husband and I sometimes reminisce about how many hours we spent looking through the very detailed pages with the kids. They loved pointing to each drawing and telling us what they saw. Good times!

mouse February 27, 2013 at 5:11 am

Aw, this was a favorite of mine when I was little. It’s so nice to see it passed down to another generation!