The secret to great chocolate chip cookies

by Jessie K on February 18, 2013

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAJake’s brother Mark is a fantastic baker and a few months ago he gave Jake the drop on superior chocolate chip cookies: add a bit of sea salt to each cookie prior to baking. Something about the salt adds dimension to even so-so cookies. Jake has since incorporated the tip into his own cookie baking and his chocolate chip cookies, already out of this world, have never been tastier. I’ve eaten three so far this evening.

(For more about how to make superior chocolate chip cookies, read this 2008 New York Times article here.)

Paula February 18, 2013 at 11:38 pm

I think it is so great when men bake. It was actually my father, rather than my mother, who taught me to bake my first cookies.

Bob F February 19, 2013 at 7:40 am

Both of my sons are excellent cooks and were taught by their mom. Now, if you will excuse me, I have some freshly made apple pie waiting. :)

Jessie K February 19, 2013 at 10:09 am

YUM!

Heather M February 19, 2013 at 8:35 am

I made chocolate chip cookies this way just last Christmas and they were a big hit. I had gotten the idea from some cookies we were sent from a woman who recently started to sell her handmade baked goods in the Portland, OR area (her daughter is a college buddy with my husband). She makes the best cookies! One type was a choc. chip with sea salt and it blew my mind…leading me to give it a try at home when I knew we had company coming so I wouldn’t be eating several dozen cookies on my own. I will probably always apply the sea salt in the future. Yummy!

Jessie K February 19, 2013 at 10:09 am

Yah!

sarina February 19, 2013 at 8:54 am

I once made tollhouse chocolate chip cookies and misread the recipe and used tablespoon measurement instead of teaspoon for the salt.. I made the first tray and thought there was just something “off” about how they tasted. Then it hit me! Not only had I used a tablespoon instead of teaspoon.. but somehow I put three tablespoons in! I put the uncooked dough in a collander and rinsed it off and started over. That worked out ok. I can see a little extra salt being good.. not gobs of it though!

Catherine February 19, 2013 at 11:01 am

Just last week, wanting to try a little variation from the traditional toll house recipe, I googled “the perfect chocolate chip cookie”. I came across the same article, which was great!

I’ve also been experimenting with sprinkling sea salt on them, possibly because I’ve become addicted to chocolate, caramels, etc. with sea salt, even cracked black pepper. Yummy with red wine!

Catherine February 19, 2013 at 11:05 am

With it, not in it! : )

mouse February 27, 2013 at 5:10 am

I make the Tollhouse recipe with a little bit of coarse sea salt on top, and they’re perfect! Sometimes I add salt to my peanut butter cookies as well, especially if there are chocolate chips in them.