Every night is egg night at our house (well, almost)

by Jessie K on February 21, 2013

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWe eat a lot of eggs at our house.

IMG_5249A lot.

IMG_5245They’re the world’s most versatile food though my favorite way to eat them is still the old fashioned way: fried….or scrambled.

IMG_5254They’re quick and easy for family dinners on the fly and they have enough fat — unprocessed, organic fat! — and protein to keep me full for hours. I don’t get cravings when I eat lots of protein and natural fat.

A few of my favorite ways to eat them (aside from fried):

Egg Lemon Soup

Homemade Ice Cream

Huevos Rancheros (with an ice cold beer)

Homemade Mayonnaise

Tortilla Espanola

The Aussie Burger

Shakshuka

I am going to stop now…

Janelle February 21, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Oh my gosh! Us too! We get about two dozen eggs a day, and I keep the cracked ones for us. And we eat a lot too! The kids and I eat 4 eggs scrambled every morning with some really easy homemade, no-knead bread. And we just love hard-boiled. They make a great snack!
But don’t forget crêpes. My recipe takes 4 eggs for enough crêpes for a family of 4.

Jessie K February 21, 2013 at 1:56 pm

A fellow ovumophile! I’m almost ashamed to say it but I’ve never made crepes. Or a souffle. A change is in order!

Janelle February 21, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Oh là là. Il faut manger des crêpes! Elles sont délicieuses!

Olga February 21, 2013 at 12:34 pm

You are killing me! I love eggs and I’ve been really thinking of trying your ice creams. But the eggs are 7 bucks a dozen, so with other ingridients it will make ice cream double the price og huggen daaz

Jessie K February 21, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Whoa, $7 a dozen. Where do you live? Versailles?

Olga February 22, 2013 at 12:17 am

Ha ha ha. Vancouver, BC! 6.99 for an organic dozen, 5.50 at the farmers markets, but it’s winter now and we have to drive to it (there is only one market in the city in the winter) so we never do.

sarina February 22, 2013 at 8:50 am

At those prices… a few hens might not be a bad investment:)

Olga February 22, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Well, in the city you can have up to 3 hens (according to the bylaws) but you need a house with a backyard. I live in the townhouse, so no chickens for me! Plus Vancouver has tons of rats and they would for sure be attracted to the feed. So when you think of all those things 7 bucks seems like worth paying. But if you get into the habit of reading Jessie’s blog, with ice-cream recipes using gazilion eggs, then it starts to hurt a little.

GinnyN February 21, 2013 at 2:55 pm

frittata – clean out the fridge of leftover veggies, add onion, cheese & garlic. maybe throw in some ham or sausage if so inclined. my favorite. haven’t had one in a while now. i see it in my near future.

maria February 21, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I love me some eggs! Thanks again for the eggs you brought over! We ate an potato sausage bake using your yummy eggs…….so good.

sarina February 21, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Poached eggs are our new passion. We get about 5-12 eggs a day from our hens.. (depending on the time of the year). I also scramble them to feed our dogs quite regularly.. they luuuurrve them to death! I will be honest, I wish I liked them more. I also wish I had time to cook my breakfast and eat it before I left for work but since I live over an hour from work.. and try to get there by 7 am.. I am just not enough of a morning person to get up at 4 to cook and eat…lol.

Judy Workman February 21, 2013 at 9:11 pm

You could make quiches and freeze them for later or give to others. Everyone loves a meal they don’t have to make themselves!

lizette February 22, 2013 at 8:46 am

we have hens too and eat a ton of eggs. the dippy eggs reign supreme at our house but frittatas, shakshuka, tacos, and breakfast sandwiches are staples. mmm!

Julie February 22, 2013 at 9:52 am

The huevos rancheros recipe link was right-on! Dinner last night was excellent, and so simple. I can’t wait to try that again…this weekend!

Lindsay February 22, 2013 at 3:03 pm

don’t you just love Smitten Kitchen? she rocks.

Leah February 22, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Real homemade angle food cake. You can eat it almost guilt free without all that frosting. Cut it in half and put fruit between the halves. You will have a lot of yolks unused but my mother would beat the yolks into some milk and give it to the cats and dogs as a treat. They loved it and it was good for them. Solha would like some I’m sure.

Molly O February 23, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I’ve never made homemade mayo but I think I’m going to have to! Too bad my husband hates anything creamy…