This is getting ridiculous

by Jessie K on December 10, 2013

My mother in law said that if I want the baby to come all I have to do is buy really expensive non-refundable tickets somewhere and — boom — that’s  when I’ll go into labor. I’m thinking she may be on to something.

Last night my mom’s plane was scheduled to touch down at 8 p.m. but the flight got canceled — two flights, actually, thanks to the ice storm that has shut down air traffic to much of the east coast — but thankfully she was able to catch a last minute flight to an out of the way airport nearby that put her in at 11 p.m. Unfortunately, her luggage wasn’t able to join her. Her bags are still languishing up in Washington D.C. and with the continuing snowfall, it’s anyone’s guess when they’ll make it to Virginia.

It’s no fun to be without basic toiletries, underwear and a toothbrush, so Mom and I swung into Walmart — a.k.a. Duck Dynasty emporium — at about 1 a.m. last night to pick up these basic sundries and didn’t get home until about 2 a.m.

I thought for sure I’d go into labor at some point during this kerfuffle — I could totally see myself having contractions somewhere in the Duck Dynasty bedding aisle while a hapless janitor hovers nearby with a mop — but alas, it was not to be.

Where is this child?

Penny December 10, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Well, praise God that u have plenty of company to be with you as you wait for your little package. :) I guess she will be along before the weekend. In the meantime, I will continue to pray that all goes well.

Diane December 10, 2013 at 2:25 pm

While awaiting the birth of my third child it was suggested to me that jumping rope might initiate labor. I tried it. It does not. Good luck.

Janelle December 10, 2013 at 3:15 pm

She’ll come when she’s ready. I was over due almost a week with both with the doctor breathing down my neck to induce (over my dead body!) and I won’t tell you what I did because this is a G-rated blog.

Allie December 10, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I mean, she is nice and warm in your belly and the weather outside blows! Can u blame her?!?

Tiffany S December 10, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Castor oil mixed with soda pop. She’ll be out before midnight.

Frédérique December 10, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I told you… It’s a baby boy and he won’t come before you stop calling him “she”… :-)

Lisa December 10, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Relax and enjoy your company. Maybe play some rummy or watch Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase and you may laugh the baby out!! It is a very funny movie. God bless you and your family!

Margaret Halford December 10, 2013 at 5:39 pm

She’s packing…don’t worry…she’s on her way. Can’t wait to see her…

Charlotte December 10, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Oh bummer — I was hoping she’d come today so we could share a birthday. I was very late, later than anyone would let a baby go lo these many many decades later — but my mother said I was so big I slept through the night.

Karen S. December 10, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Sometimes the very thing that caused all of this in the first place is what can help it along. ;-) I think that’s what Janelle implied above. Or go driving on a bumpy back road. She just wanted to make sure both of her grandma’s were in town for the big arrival! Someone wanted an audience.

Janelle December 10, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Yes! Yes! Yes!

maria December 10, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I know it’s hard to wait any longer but…just enjoy the last days of being a mommy of one. Sleep as much you can, (you’ll need your rest) Play with June giving her your undivided attention…oh and eat that candy and cookie and cake….while you gut is shaped like a pool ball. :))

Megan December 11, 2013 at 8:48 am

Why go to WalMart for your Duck Dynasty Paraphernalia? My child had a spent green shotgun shell strung with a red ribbon tossed at her off a float at a local Christmas Parade. For free! (It is yours if you want it!)

Jessie K December 11, 2013 at 11:25 am

A spent shotgun shell?? Now my holidays will be a complete!

Kate December 11, 2013 at 4:39 pm

After you give birth, nipple stimulation from breastfeeding gets your uterus to contract. But before you give birth, nipple stimulation (from a breast pump or a partner) gets the uterus to start contracting and set labor in motion. Worked for me!