Getting on baby time

by Jessie K on January 6, 2014

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I’m spending the next foreseeable future at home alone with Katie (June’s at Montessori) and I forgot how much of the day is spent cuddling, holding, cradling and rocking an infant. Katie and I have spent the morning pacing the house, me rocking her in my arms, listening to NPR. Every time I try to put her down, she fusses. It’s a little frustrating because I’m the type of person who always feels compelled to get something — anything — done, whether it’s a household task, answering emails, writing — and it’s impossible to do that with a squirming loaf of bread in my arms.  I’m trying to get on “baby time” — letting go of the need to multitask and simply enjoy our time together. I find I’m much less anxious if I give up the need to accomplish anything more than giving her lots of love right now. These days are gone in a flash and I want to savor them.

Gotta go. I’m back on rocking duty.

Diane January 6, 2014 at 1:03 pm

As you have realized you ARE accomplishing something–the most important something you will ever do. You are programming your child with love. Nothing else you could ever do for her or anyone or anything else is as important as this. All of that other stuff will keep. Babies don’t.

Sheila January 6, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Diane is SO right! I would give anything to have just one more of those baby-holding days of years past…treasure every moment of yours!

Chloe January 6, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Do you have a baby carrier you can tuck her into? My kiddo hated to be put down, so having a couple of comfortable carriers I could tuck him into saved my sanity!

Janelle January 6, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Baby Bjorn. My eldest was in it until she was 9 months old and then moved to a back pack. My son, the second, preferred the sling. But yes, savor these moments. This is it and time is fleeting.

Deb January 6, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Beautiful picture!

Olga January 7, 2014 at 1:47 am

Ok, so I had to go back to work the day after (horrendous) delivery right from the hospital bed. And had to continue working my ass off continuously since then. That’s my trick: Baby Bjorn + Exercise ball. You replace your computer chair with an exercise ball put the kiddo in the Baby Bjorn and bounce away while working. Your productivity will suffer obviously, but it’s much better than no work at all. If you don’t have one – they are worth every penny, because it allows you to earn money. They are better than ergo and other stuff I tried for this specific work arrangement. If you try it, let me know if it works for you.

Jessie K January 7, 2014 at 9:59 am

Wow, you are amazing. I love the idea about the exercise ball replacing the chair. That sounds great for stimulation whether you’re juggling a kiddo or not.

Olga January 8, 2014 at 1:31 am

Oh, I have another one! I was using this one a lot in the beginning. You have to leave the laptop within reach by the bed. When it’s time to nurse, you nurse her in bed laying down and nurse her to sleep (I wouldn’t even burp my son until he’d wake up). When she is good and asleep you wait 5-10 min, then grab the computer and start working like a mad woman… She can sense that you are in bed with her and will sleep for longer – If you sneak out you’ll get busted in no time. It doesn’t work super well for my kind of work (design), but works well for emailing and your writing work should be good too.

Brenda January 7, 2014 at 2:41 am

Beautiful sleeping shot. Love the fingers …. ready to play piano!