6 reasons I’m glad June is obsessed with Dora

by Jessie K on January 15, 2014

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAJune recently discovered Dora the Explorer and has been in a full-on Dora fever for a few months now. It all started when I rented a couple of DVDs for her at the local library over Christmas break. (For those of you who don’t know, Dora is a popular Nickelodeon Latina character who goes on adventures with her buddy, a monkey named Boots. Dora is bilingual. She relies on her talking backpack and talking map to find her way to specific destinations while overcoming obstacles.) June became transfixed. She started talking like Dora and imitating whole lines of dialogue from episodes. She started calling Jake “Boots” and wants us to call her “Dora.” I’m “Bag.” (Don’t ask me who that is but it least it sounds marginally better than, say, “Sod.”) She wears her backpack around the house spewing lines. She and “Boots” go on “adventures” around the house the second “Boots” walks in the door from work. Her teachers told me she slips into her Dora character at Montessori, encouraging classmates to say “Backpack!”

Although I hate the thought of my kid turning into a drooling Dora zombie while I suffer from low grade Dora fatigue — “Dora the Explorer! Swiper, no swiping! Swiper, no swiping!” — I actually kind of like this character. I mean, at least compared to other popular kiddie characters – I’m looking at you, Caillou! – Dora is alright. Dora is cool. She’s a girl after my own heart.

Click here to see my top reasons why.

Ellen H. January 15, 2014 at 4:08 pm

I’m totally with you on Dora (and Caillou). My girls went through a Dora phase and I liked the show for all the reasons you mentioned. Backyardigans was also fun to watch (although I mostly listened, while doing housework). They had some fun adventures and songs and had both boy and girl characters to keep everyone interested.

Penny January 15, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Wanted to read the reasons…but the arrows wouldn’t take me there. Any ideas? Never had this problem before.

Penny January 15, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Never mind…tried it again. And it worked that time.

Ashton January 15, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Caillou is a the bald Canadian toddler version of Satan.

Jessie K January 16, 2014 at 11:46 am

Très vrai, très vrai.

Janelle January 15, 2014 at 9:09 pm

My daughter had a Dora doll whose hair she had to stroke in order to fall asleep. It wasn’t about Dora per se, but the silkiness of the hair. We left the doll in Québec one vacation. That was the end of that.
Maybe June will end up with some words in Spanish. ¡Hasta la vista!

Bob F January 16, 2014 at 12:22 am

Dora is pretty cool – I was introduced to her by my grandgirl! Another good one is the Backyardigans.

SpongeBobSquarePants is a whole different story and I just cannot recommend it for viewing by kids. You should take a look at it for yourself before deciding if you want June to watch.

Jessie K January 16, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I’ve only seen a little bit of Spongebob and found it kinda “crass and snappy” for toddlers. No thanks!

Molly O January 16, 2014 at 12:43 am

Dora’s mom is an archaeologist?!? Now I love Dora too!! Unless she actually digs for gold or dinosaurs, because then I would loose all faith in whatever network makes Dora (this is the worst part of being an archaeologist – nobody actually knows what you do!).

Jessie K January 16, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Yup, she’s an archaeologist who digs for the lost gold. Check it out!

Molly O January 16, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Nooooo!

Karen S. January 16, 2014 at 8:52 am

My boys even like Dora. I definitely prefer her to a lot of shows. Although now they’re into the more masculine Handy Manny. His tools are actually really funny. And he’s always talking about helping out friends and family. I actually think he works a little more Spanish into the show than Dora does. They count to at least 8 (the number of tools he has) and often to 10 every show. And another great part is that the owner of the hardware store that is the go-to place for any part you could ever need to do a job is owned by a woman.
I definitely concur with Bob – SpongeBob is just toxic and we don’t watch that at our house. The kids have seen it when they’ve been elsewhere. It’s base humor, Patrick is either stupid or mentally challenged, and there are definitely many other questionable characters. I think it’s barely appropriate for middle schoolers, and not really even then.
I also don’t really like Jake and the Neverland Pirates, mostly because the whole show revolves around doing things to collect gold. It just gets annoying when gold dubloons pop up every time they do something nice that they should be doing anyway.
I do like Busytown Adventures though. It’s just fun and I grew up with Richard Scary. And my kids are basically Pig Will and Pig Won’t. Haha.

Jessie K January 16, 2014 at 2:06 pm

I’ve never heard of Handy Manny. Will have to check it out. June LOVES Busytown. We got her the board game for her third birthday…it’s such a good one. I highly recommend it.

Janelle January 16, 2014 at 10:02 pm

My son loved Handy Manny, and I did too!

Meaghan January 16, 2014 at 2:56 pm

My daughter LOVES Super Why. It’s the only show she will actually watch.

Cyn January 16, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Our daughter LOVED Caillou for about 4 months…felt like 4 years!! My husband says Caillou is a BAD Canadian / Charlie Brown knock off! We also think Caillou is a BAD influence…she would copy a lot of his whiney behaviour! Recently, we found a LOVEY little program called “Sarah & Duck” on the Sprout channel. Sarah is this curious little girl and her pet Duck. It’s a British program, we have paid to download several episodes from Amazon for her to watch. This is a very calming program…Mommy and Daddy love it too!
I understand all of your reasons to like Dora, I’m still on the fence about her. Mostly, because I taught preschool for a long time before I had my little girl…I had Dora overload!

Meredith January 16, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Dora is a wonderful show and I am not ashamed to say that I would not get any housework done if it wasn’t for her and Boots. If I am going to let my kids watch something in order for me to get things done, than I want it to be something they can learn from, not just stare at like dormant zombies.
Dora and Diego are great.
Sponge Bob – no way!!!
I have also found that I have banned Tom and Jerry and Woody Woodpecker from the house – I am sure many people can point out many reasons why, but my main reason is the persistent use of the word “stupid.”