I love my dentist

by Jessie K on April 15, 2014

the care of your teeth

Yesterday was my six month check up at the dentist’s office, and I had to bring both girls with me.

I found myself lying on the reclined chair with various metal instruments probing about my mouth. On my face was a pair of what I like to call hillbilly jock sunglasses, only camouflage (I don’t know what else to call these glasses but you see them a lot around here worn by stringy teenage boys, cops, military personnel and anyone else who wants to look fierce), which the dental hygienist hands out to every patient to keep the overhead lights out of patients’ eyes. June was curled up on my lap, quietly sucking her thumb and fondling her shirt while I ruffled my fingers through her hair. Out in the waiting area, another dental technician fed Katie a bottle, cooing and aaahing over her every move. I found myself wondering, at how many dentist’s office would this sort of thing fly: staff taking care of one kid in the lobby while the other kid naps in my lap? And I didn’t even have any cavities.

Rachel April 15, 2014 at 9:49 am

I can attest, not many. I’ve been trying to find a local dentist for my 6 (almost 7) yo and as I call around I find that I wouldn’t even be allowed in the exam room with her. This in a town that recently had a child die from a dentist giving them anesthetics for a cleaning. Yeah, right… Sorry, not trusting anyone unless I can be with her during the exam. This on top of the logic that insurance won’t cover specialists, but “family dentists” won’t see anybody unless they’re 16, kids need a pediatric dentist, which is… you guessed it, a specialist.

Amanda April 15, 2014 at 9:57 am

About a month after my first child was born I had to have a cavity filled and I had no one to watch the little one, so she came with me too.

I called ahead to ask if it was okay, because I was sure it wouldn’t be and the receptionist pretty much begged me to bring the baby in so she could hold her for the hour or so they needed to fill the cavity. I guess she was passed around to all the ladies in the office during my visit.

Sometimes living in a small town has its advantages!

Lindsay April 15, 2014 at 3:52 pm

i need that dentist. ha ha.

small town living does have its advantages!

Karen S. April 16, 2014 at 11:30 am

You’ll need to tell me who you use. I don’t think we go to the same dentist, although our hygienists are great with the boys now that they are also getting checkups. All 3 of us go in together, like a blitzkrieg.

Janelle April 16, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Many years ago, my hygienist told me I could bring my toddler with me. I just laughed. Neither of my kids would ever sit still for more than 5 minutes. I always envied those parents who could go out for dinner, or enjoy a quiet moment, even if it were at the dentist’s. Now, the dentist has become a “me-time” moment. Imagine that!

Debi April 25, 2014 at 4:07 pm

I’m glad I’m out of Virginia and back in Jersey, but that’s one of the things that was great about the place.