Spring sprucing

by Jessie K on April 28, 2014

IMG_7070She’s only four months old and is already excavating the property with her Daddy.

IMG_7071This is Father/Daughter Time, Jake style. They spent, no lie, an hour ripping up our property together. She loved it.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAIt was a good weekend to get a few things done around the place. First, Jake ripped out the old fence line. (Can you tell where it was?)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHe ripped out the old chain link gate and that nasty old dish network satellite. I can’t stand those things! They’re an eyesore. Apologies to all the dish network satellite fanatics out there.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThen he planted a bunch of new grass seed.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And here’s me holding a fine feathered friend who flew right into our window pane and died. Poor little bugger. I found him on the front porch. I couldn’t just leave him there….I had to pick him up and give him a proper burial. I nestled him behind a tree in the woods.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI’m trying to decide how to decorate our porch. I don’t want to spend a bunch of money, but I want it to be nice and relaxing because I plan to spend A LOT of time out there this spring and summer. So far, I’m using all our old stuff — except for that yellow rockers, that’s new — and thinking of easy ways to rehab it.  How do you rehab wicker? Any ideas?

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI think it’s safe to say spring is here.

(Now watch. We’ll get a foot of snow tomorrow.)

Melissa April 29, 2014 at 8:49 am

Well, maybe not snow — but it sounds like you’re in for a good bit of rain! 3-5 inches predicted where my daughter lives in southern Fauquier. Your porch looks very inviting!

sarah April 29, 2014 at 9:19 am

they have a spray paint that has a weather proof laquer in it a nice contrast color to the rocker maybe new cushions from your friend who did the other chairs..hang a few nice lights..a durable deep color rug, new paint on porch and a whiskey sour? voila!

Barbie.O. April 29, 2014 at 10:05 am

Our daughter was 3 months old when my husband took her in the tractor cab to do field work. Love it! I envision your porch with grapevine wreaths, hanging baskets of beautiful flowers and mason jar luminaries. I don’t have a porch so I’m always dreaming of them! Enjoy!

Blind Horse April 29, 2014 at 10:48 am

Epic parenting win for you and Jake for including your girls in heavy equipment operation. I was brought up in a very gender-biased way, although I broke free and am an engineer and a farmer, my learning curve was much steeper because of it.

I love a sky-blue porch ceiling. I know it’s very common, at least here in New England, but it’s a little bit of summer blue sky every time you’re on the porch.

Penny April 29, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I’m sure there are some great wicker refurbishing sites out there. I too would love a porch. My only advice is to add some color to accessorize all that white. N have fun with it!!

Karen S. April 29, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Not a foot of snow, but I bet all the areas Jake dug up are sloppy mudholes right now. I’m ready for an end to the cold, miserable day today.

I don’t know about wicker, but I know someone local who does the weaving (or caneing?) for stuff like ladder back chairs and such.

Ydubby April 29, 2014 at 3:44 pm

You have enough on your plate. An old rug , a rocker or porch swing, a hummingbird feeder and some flowers. We ripped off a porch to add on a room and I still miss it. A patio just isn’t the same.

Patty April 29, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Annually I spray paint my wicker. Cleaned off the dust and dirt and went nuts with spray paint. Looks great and you’ll find there are a zillion colors available. I bought a couple coordinating summer fabrics (or use vintage tablecloths!) to make cushions and pillows, and added an outdoor striped rug. It’s one colorful porch and I love it. Easy peasy is just adding a couple pots of flowers on your porch for color.

Janelle April 30, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Ooooh! So many exciting things going on there! I was looking forward to seeing what was going on… Good luck on the porch!
LOVE the father / daughter time!

moni May 1, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Definitely go for a sky blue porch ceiling. It really does look and feels great when sitting out there. Could try an angled painted checkerboard pattern on the floor. With painted wicker it could coordinate everything together. If you don’t want the floor permanant use some canvas to paint on,then tack it down for the summer months only. I found using a sponge paintbrush easier to use when painting wicker. No clumps,peeling and everything got painted. Used the same olivey green with 2 slightly different shades and painted one on top of the other without worrying about the second coat covering all. All who saw really liked the effect. Aged looking without the mess.

maria May 2, 2014 at 10:00 am

We painted our wicker stuff….did it outside right on the lawn with spray painter….and the mess…well we just mowed the grass a couple times and it was all gone :) Painless.